Monday, June 18

When My Brain Needs A Break...

I just finished seven weeks of devotional writing. Today, I'll jump into Noah and Maddison's world full-time. Don't get me wrong; I love these characters. If I wasn't a writer, the amount of time and attention these two imaginary friends receive would qualify me for some serious therapy. And, please, don't even get me started on Daniel.

Given my deep devotion to these characters, one might assume I can write and edit non-stop. Alas, this is not the case. At some point in the process, my brain muddies. My thoughts scramble. My eyes cross, and I have to step away.

Since napping is a "no-no" for those with CFS, I've found another way to let my brain rest. My solution? Delightfully mindless TV.

This is not to say that I don't enjoy well-produced television. White Collar returns July 10th at 9 p.m., and you can bet I have a date with my couch on that night!

Sometimes, however, you just need to turn off your brain. When I have that urge, I turn to a special host of shows that fit the bill. What Not To Wear, Food Network Star, and Good Luck Charlie are at the top of my list. I like to alternate between food/style reality shows and the Disney Channel. Don't blink. You read that sentence correctly. I admitted it. I am an adult Disney Channel viewer.  :)

After an hour, I'm usually re-energized and ready to jump back into whatever project requires all of my attention. What about you? What do you turn to when your brain feels like it might explode?


4 comments:

Erynn said...

Usually a quick computer game (Free Cell, Minesweeper, or Yahtzee). If I have internet access, I'll check Facebook or Twitter feeds quickly, and then plunge back in.

Charity Tinnin said...

It has always amazed me that you use computer games to take a break. Those games in particular stress me out--I'm so competitive against computers. Glad they work for you though :)

Joanne Bischof said...

Love those names. I married a Noah so I might be a bit biased =) I usually grab my ipod and go for a walk. Sometimes just getting out of the house for some fresh air is the best stress reliever.

Charity Tinnin said...

Thanks Joanne! For the record, I am completely fine with you being biased toward men named after your husband. I think my Noah's pretty great, and I want everyone else to feel the same way :)

I love your ipod/fresh air idea. I can't walk long without paying for it (another unfortunate side effect of CFS), but I'll be glad when summer passes and I can get out and take advantage of just such an activity.

Your profile says you write Appalachian romances. Are they historical or contemporary? Why did you decide to set them in that particular set of mountains?