Thursday, July 10

Sitting Still

Luke 10:38-42 ESV"Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."
I don't do stillness well. And if God has been teaching me anything for the last year and a half, it is to STAND STILL. Graciously, patiently, firmly, sternly, tenderly, He has said "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). This is definitely a lesson I need to learn because I am often "distracted by all the preparations that have to be made" (as the NIV words verse 40).

What does that distraction lead to? Being anxious and troubled. Often.

Yet, I am constantly humbled by just how merciful Jesus' response is to Martha. Instead of a harsh rebuke, He gets her attention by calling her name and reminding her of what's important: sitting at His feet as He speaks. How often I miss the one necessary thing in the midst of all I think needs to be done.

What is He saying?

Sit at My feet. Wait upon the Lord. Be still. Wait for the Lord. Stand firm and be silent. For this is the one necessary thing. This cannot be taken away from you.

I am challenged by this call. I am intrigued by the times it is referenced in His Word. I also have many questions. What does it look like to be still? Why should I be still? When should I be still? What are the blessings of stillness or the consequences of running ahead? How am I to be still in the midst of His call?

Even the answers must come from Him in His time. As I dig in His Word and wait for Him to bring wisdom.

1 comment:

kd said...

Hey. Those are great ending questions. I have also realized that being still isn't being alone in my "square" or just sitting somewhere with the TV off. It is a state of mind and spirit - easier said than done! Thanks for sharing!